Friday, August 12, 2011

Shrimp Louie


The Shrimp Louie salad originated on the west coast and was all the rage during the mid 1900's. My mother kept a diary on her honeymoon and she included every item of food they enjoyed on their special trip down the coast. She must have listed Shrimp or Crab Louie at least 5 times! I had always been fascinated by this salad and it's former popularity. I did some research and found this recipe which I think is spot on and delicious! Perfect for summer dining when fresh shrimp are in season. I opted to serve my salad individual style in a red cabbage bowl with butter lettuce and dressing on the side, they were a huge hit!

Shrimp Louie
1 cup mayonaise
1 T. tarragon vinegar
3 T chili sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. chopped pimento
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. powdered sugar
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. mustard
Lettuce leaves
Shrimp, cooked
Tomatoes, quartered
Hard cooked eggs, quartered

Directions
Combine mayonaise, vinegar, chili sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix in pimento, garlic, salt, sugar, paprika and mustard. Mix well: refrigerate, covered. Arrange lettuce leaves on plate. Place desired amount of shrimp in center. Circle with tomato wedges and egg wedges. Pour sauce over shrimp.

2 comments:

  1. wow - you have a fantastic blog! I love your posts and the pics of lunches, they are wonderful. I can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, this looks wonderful. I am new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I am so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete